Monday, January 26, 2009

Memoirs of a yogi


I came to town today to use the internet since both the computers and the phone aren't functioning at the ashram. OOOOMMMMM, everything turns into a practice of patience when you're in the yogic state of mind.
Arriving to the ashram was a bit hectic since it is in the middle of nowhere, literally, and my train arrived late at night in the city of Madurai. The "rickshaw" driver didn't know where the place was and ran out of gas on the road. The gas station also ran out of gas and I was waiting there with a group of men who didn't speak any English, for I'm not sure what, but eventually the gas started flowing. By that time I was sufficiently freaked out and called my ashram to update them to where I was. Three nice men from the ashram came to rescue me with their vehicle (nothing bad was going to happen, I was just freaked out) and it was cool to see some enlightened men flex their muscles and lecture the cabby for keeping me waiting for so long in the language of Tamil (the language in the Indian state where I am now: Tamil Nadu).
Anywho, things have been quite calm since my arrival. The trainride was georgeous by the way, and i really enjoyed watching the Indian landscape from the open train door. It was perfectly safe too and I met some nice people including a swiss couple who were blissed out and encouraged me to just leave my bag on the train while we got something to eat at a transfer station. I still have some material attachment though, and wanted to check our our bags after awhile. They didn't really understand why I would be concerned.
I've met a number of blissed out Europeans, by the way, who work for about 3 months a year, save up money, and then return to do yoga in either Thailand or India for the rest of the year. Their eyes are dreamy, man. One of them guessed my astrological sign within minutes of meeting me. They are sooo laid back.
So, back to the ashram, yoga, yoga and more yoga. Oh yeah, there's meditation and chanting too. We eat with our hands, people wipe their bottoms with their hands, and true to Charlie's friend's word, who I had the pleasure of meeting at the ashram, I witnessed nasal flossing this morning for the first time. It's true, if you swallow a cathater it does come out of your mouth, and that, apparently cleans your nasal passage.
Besides ashram life, I've also attended an Indian wedding at a temple in the city. It was beautiful and entertaining. The foreigners made it entertaining, I think. At one point the equivalent of a flower girl gave out grains of sugar that we were supposed to eat. Next they gave out uncooked rice with saffron, which we weren't supposed to eat, we were supposed to throw as confetti, but most of us foreiners ate the uncooked yellow rice anyway and the girl handing it out had a look of horror and disgust. I had a bit of rice left in my hand but I couldn't see the couple when everyone was throwing theirs, so I pelted two older sari clad Indian women in the face without thinking (I threw quite hard) and some of the local men started laughing uncontrollably. A good time was had by all. The foreigners were taking pictures of the Tamil people, and when it was time to eat, some locals were taking pictures of us trying to eat with our hands, which they will probably keep in an album and laugh at for generations to come.
I also went into town to see Amma, the divine mother guru who gives holy hugs. She has a cult following of hundreds of thousands of people and it was very interesting to see the spectacle. OK, back to the ashram now for me. I hope inauguration day was a happy day for all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Julieta! It's been fun reading about India. I wish I was with you doing yoga, yoga, and more yoga. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete