Sunday, January 18, 2009

India Part 2



Hey folks, sorry to admit it, but it is HOT here. My trip has taken a turn for the chill. I've even gotten used to being driven by taxis into oncoming traffic. It's much more pleasant, I discovered today, if accompanied by music, especially U2's It's a Beautiful Day on my ipod. Since I last wrote, I got an aryvedic massage, in which you lie directly on a massage table and then go slipping and sliding around the table lubricated with hot oils. I though it just hadn't occurred to them to put a sheet down, but they actually think it's better like that. Hanging with my yoga teacher cousin was cool, and I got to know her a lot better over many cups of masala chai overlooking the beach. Now I'm hanging with some English backpackers, my friend Joyce from Junior High school and her beau Sujay in Kerala. Sujay's family is from the area and his aryuvedic doctor cousin showed us around his family complex with big vats of natural medicine cooking. He gave me some tea/powder for my belly and I'm wondering if I should try it out....
I also visited the town of Cochin where I was very curious about the synagogue that held one of the biggest communities in India. Now the community is reduced to a few families since most members went to Israel. I rented a bike for about a dollar that day and explored the city by the water with chinese fishing nets that bring up a lot of garbage like Bubba Gump's shrimping boats. I'm sorta nervous about going to my yoga retreat tomorrow, not because of swallowing cloth or using nasal floss, like some of you might think, but it may be my first experience on the Indian trains and it will be a Looooooonnnnggg ride to get there. I was advised by some trustworthy friends to be selective of the experiences I have, since I am often too much game for whatever happens, but alas, I think a long trainride awaits. Will write more another day from a hopefully blissful state at the yoga ashram.

No comments:

Post a Comment