Friday, February 6, 2009

Leaving Bangkok

After recharging my figurative batteries for some days I am planning to leave my cousin's house for the next month. I'm headed to a beach island today called Ko Pha-ngan where a couple of my brother's friends will be renting a house. That's also where the swiss couple that I met on the trainride in South India lives doing yoga for 9 months out of the year. Ko Pha-ngan is known for their "full moon parties," but I'm not sure if I'll make that. They are also known for their waterfalls and snorkeling of which I will definitely partake. After that I'll hopefully head to the North of Thailand to start the job. Details are yet to be determined, but I already told the guy at the International Rescue Committe that I'd be able to stay until May 1st, so that is the new estimated arrival date home.
Hopefully I'll make it that long! I thought I had better learn some of the Thai language but didn't feel like enrolling in a class so as an alternative I went on the website "Conversation exchange" where I found Thai people living in Bangkok who wanted to practice their English. Today before taking the bus south I'm supposed to meet with a Thai girl named Papayahanaga to practice Thai and go shopping at the big weekend market. She says to call her "apple." I hope that her friends "Banana and Orange" don't back me into an alley and take all my money!
Anyway, I'm leaving my laptop at my cousin's house for the next month so that I don't have to worry about it at hostels, en route, etc. I guess I'll try to update this again from an internet cafe at the beach or in the North somewhere. Until then, the farang (foreigner),
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment